Thread: Kobo Software
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 02:41 AM   #5
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
It's confusing as all get-out, eh? I've just bought a Sony, and haven't finished getting everything sorted, but as far as I understand it, this is the procedure:

1. Install desktop software.

2. Download and install Adobe Digital Editions.

3. Authorise your computer in ADE.

4. Check that ADE recognises and can authorise your Kobo reader.

5. Use browser to buy ebooks in epub format from wherever.

6. When your browser asks 'run or save?' choose Run in ADE.

7. ADE downloads the ebook and decrypts it.

8. ADE can then transfer the ebook to a device it has already recognised and authorised.

That right, folks?

A few things you may or may not know:

- you might have issues (hopefully temporary) in changing font size/face in ebooks you bought anywhere but Kobo (or that didn't come via Kobo's desktop software)

- if Whitcoulls is like Borders, there ARE a number of free ebooks available. They just seem to be listed at the very END of any search results list.

- the above process is only required for DRMed ebooks. If you want ebooks from, say, Smashwords, Baen, or Feedbooks, just download them through your browser. When the reader's plugged in, Windows Explorer should display it as one or two removable USB drives. You can either find where it stores the ebooks and copy the downloaded files into that directory, or download Calibre, load the ebooks into Calibre, let Calibre detect your reader and transfer the files for you. NOTE BEFORE TRYING: I don't have a Kobo reader, I'm just assuming this will work as normal with other readers.

Does that help?
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote