View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #61
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by orwell2k View Post
Apart from being a cracking good book, your efforts to create this ePub version are outstanding! Maybe you will turn your ePub arts to creating a version of Three men On The Brummel?
the thought had crossed my mind, yes. (it's a question of finding the time, really.)

Quote:
Can you give a quick summary of what tools you use to create your ePubs?
i wanted to learn about the format, so i did it all by hand. i used dreamweaver for the html and css code, since that is what i use for my work (webdesigner) already, and notepad as well if memory serves. i could have done *all* the work in notepad ; i wrote the code myself rather than using a conversion app, and you don't need any special app to write code. and to be honest i don't recomment dreamweaver ; it doesn't handle long(ish) text flows very well, so sometimes it was really slow and sometimes it crashed, and i had a few very strange problems with it. if i were doing it now, i would use sigil and a text editor when necessary (search and replace, for instance).

Quote:
I am a big FB2 fan, and to be honest this ePub book is the first one that looks decent on my BeBook (Hanlin V3). A lot of the problem is the reader implementation itself, but if publishers put half your effort into creating their ePubs, then perhaps most of the currently available ePub ebooks out there wouldn't look like crap on the reader. Perhaps it's what you get used to, but for displaying on the Hanlin FB2 (CoolReader) is far superior to ePub.
i agree that there is still a way to go in terms of reader implementation and also well-crafted ebooks. but i am optimistic that both will improve in the near future ; the reader apps are improving already and the epub support is starting to get really good (the Opus for instance has excellent epub support), and publishers are more and more starting to take ebooks seriously. let's hope we don't have to wait too long !

Quote:
But as I said, this ePub eBook is just outstanding - well done, great effort and many thanks!!
thank you ! i am so glad you like it. enjoy the book !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote