View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 07:36 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA

@GM: Use a similar method with the tabs on your solar cells.

Mine arrived with silver tabs, folded flat against the back of the cell. Thinner than cheap aluminum foil, but silver foil.

For the wire, I use the teflon insulated wire used for wire-wrapping. Small spools in various colors available at such places as Radioshack (in the US).

Strip wires the width of the tab.

Lay flat against the back of the cell with stripped end crossing the width about an 1/8 inch from the end of the tab.

Secure wire in-place with a drop of your favorite "quick cure" adhesive. It isn't going to stick to the teflon, but just trap the wire in the droplet.

Find sewing needle with an eye longer than the tab is wide, mount in a pin vise.
Glue should be cured by the time you finish sneaking into wife's sewing supplies (send her to the store or something while you locate a needle).

Slide eye of needle over the end of the tab, then "roll" the tab over the stripped end of the wire. (remove needle from tab)

Touch with a bit of solder (silver solders GREAT and fast).

Add additional "strain relief" loops and drops of adhesive as desired.
Pick an adhesive that can stand high temperatures, all of the energy not converted to electricity converts to heat. The backs of these cells will get HOT.

- - - -

As you wrote elsewhere - adding hook-up wires to these solar cell tabs can be a challenge, but the above procedure has worked well for myself.

Last edited by knc1; 12-04-2012 at 07:40 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote