View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 08:08 PM   #515
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamselene View Post
That turns out not to be true. I emailed some combo KF7/KF8 files made by KindleGen, and PDS turned them into standalone KF8s for transfer to the Kindle Paperwhite.

I note that the file size listed on Amazon site indicates that it stored a combo file in the cloud. I haven't tested downloading to an older device without KF8, but presumably it gets stripped to KF7.
Well, if that's true, that's new. As of merely 6 weeks ago, the K8 files that were emailed via PDS were still being converted as if they were K7 (or K6, or whatever). The files mailed to my Fire were not converting properly, and I discussed this with Amazon, and my Tech. Account Manager, in...the end of January, I think it was. I'll check it again.

ETA: Yup--I just sent a K8-formatted book to my Fire, and now it's working. That's very cool, thank you for this discussion--I wouldn't have found out for ages, given that I'd stopped using the PDS for this very reason. (That, and it's faster to just wifi it, but, still...this way I can tell my clients to email the files to their devices. It will save me untold brain-damage. COOL!)

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 03-13-2013 at 08:17 PM. Reason: He's right, that's GREAT.
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote