View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #1
freewheeling
Nameless Being

Just got a new Paperwhite

I've had a Kindle 2 for a long time and after I spilled soup on it I even went through about $50 buying new parts and hacking it so that I could keep it registered. But I stopped using the protective cover because it kept making the Kindle reboot whenever I picked it up. Tried using nail polish and other stuff on the slots and taped over connections on the inside, but nothing worked. So when I knocked it off a shelf it had no protection and fell right on it's little head and its eyes crossed and it went permanently catatonic and brain dead.

So I bought a PW and a cheap cover by Fintie. Seems to work, although I don't know how you navigate except with collections only one level deep, but that was a problem with the K2 as well. And I had to quit using MoonReader+ on my Android tablet because the PW doesn't use my drop box as a cloud. Maybe there'll be a hack for that, eventually.

The back light or whatever it is does seem a bit "cloudy" or "shadowy" if I'm reading in the dark, but there's probably a setting for that. The other thing I'd like to do is to keep it from going to sleep after 30 seconds away. Can't find that in the settings page.

I got the cheapest Fintie I could get, just $10, on the theory that these devices only last a couple of years anyway so spending an arm and a leg on fine leather is a waste. If they kept the size and physical slotting a standard I could see spending money on a nice one, but they're not gonna do that.