View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #14
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
From what I understand of similar rants from others in the past he's forgetting one thing. The incentive to produce. How many books would he have the incentive to write if he made as much as he indicates he should be? An example is Stephen King. He used to write a good many more short stories (in collections of his works now) and now it's a long novel every other year or so. Part of that I'm sure is the need to structure the book properly to avoid glaring errors of continuity and such, but it's also (IMO) the fact that he doesn't have to produce as often to make $ since he gets the big advances. Writer's like Twain, Wells, Stoker etc. had to write to keep the bills paid and they each produced a good sized body of work as a result. I think one trap a writer can fall into is that if they make too much $ on their writing they go from "I must write" to "I may write."
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote