View Single Post
Old 10-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #285
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
In retrospect, this should have been expected. TV makers have put a lot of time and money into LCD lighting, with flourescent light, then back and edge lit LED, and they still haven't solved the screen uniformity problem. The kindle uses a system similar to edge lit LED LCD TV, with LED and a light diffuser. The kindle screen is tiny compared to a TV, but working against that, it uses only 4 LEDs, must conserve battery, and has to hit that $120 price point. Also, on a TV, the screen is constantly changing and uniformity problems will be more or less noticeable from scene to scene. With an ereader, you have a static almost all white screen all the time, so the problem will be staring at you in the face. And obviously, this is 1st gen for amazon.

So yeah, it was foolish to buy into the hype (and shows why I don't trust the "professional" (p)reviewers). With led TVs, some models will be better than others. Some units of the same model will exhibit more problems than others. And some people will be more sensitive to the problems than others. I know I'm always bothered by stuff nobody else in family seems to notice. It'll be the same case here, I think.

I thought about canceling my order and wait to see how things shake out, but it already shipped. Ah well, I'll hope for the best.
Barty is online now   Reply With Quote