Thread: Price sensitive
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I'm relatively price-sensitive - there are (less than) a handful of authors / books I would pay $9.99 or more for (in the MUST READ THE MOMENT IT'S RELEASED!!!! category), but with all others, where I expect to enjoy the book on a 3-4 star level (i.e. from "meh, not bad" to "largely enjoyable"), I'm not keen to pay above, say, $6 any more either.

I have a sizeable TBR pile by now though, so with the overwhelming majority of things, I can wait - I stick anything potentially interesting on various wish lists and check the prices whenever BooksOnBoard has a sale or Kobo has some new coupon (Agency pricing does not concern me), etc, and wait - chances are that at some point or another, most of those vaguely-interesting books can eventually be had for under $6. In fact, I think the books I've bought this year average to about $4 by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
You should find solace and comfort in the fact that we Norwegians are considerably worse off than even the Canadians.
And you will hopefully find solace and comfort in the fact that Estonians are considerably worse off than Norwegians. New book prices, locally, are in the 15-25 € range (more towards the higher end); used book prices are in the 10-15 € range, and our salary levels are considerably below Western Europe's, never mind Northern Europe's (or Canada, or the US).

So, yeah, while I'm relatively well off compared to most of my compatriots, that still means my income levels are such which make me price-sensitive, especially with reading ~120-150 books a year; and as I read almost exclusively in English, since the overwhelming majority of books in my favourite genres are written in English, libraries are of no use to me either (nor are friends) and every book I read has to be bought.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote