View Single Post
Old 08-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
sej7278
Enthusiast
sej7278 began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
calibre does not associate itself with anything, what it does is tell your OS that it is capable of handling a set of mimetypes, as you will see in the calibre*.desktop files. After that, what application the OS associates with each mimetype is up to it. You need to find out how to edit those associations for the programs/desktop environments you use.
can we make it so this isn't the default behaviour?

i get fed up of editing /usr/share/applications/calibre* (as well as defaults.list and mimeinfo.cache) every time i upgrade calibre.

i mean its fair enough to associate with mobi and epub files, but do you really need to become the default handler for msword, html, pdf etc?

the clean way to do it would be to allow a user to associate filetypes they want to either via their file manager (in ~/.local/share/applications) or as an option in calibre (thats not enabled by default) not try to overtake 20-odd filetypes for every user on a computer.

otherwise could you at least make it so that calibre adds its entries to the end of the mimetypes and not the start, so it doesn't override other handlers that are already setup - for instance taking over from libreoffice as the default msword handler or chrome as the default html handler?
sej7278 is offline   Reply With Quote