View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 03:28 AM   #34
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Yes, but (ignoring the 'Silliness' prefix for a sec) - we live in a post-Darwinian world, where science is discovering that humans don't occupy the special place in the Universe that Christanity has espoused for millenia - how do we continue to convince ourselves that we are a special species, worthy of a higher level of ethical consideration than any other?
Isn't logical consistency pointing out that, actually, we're not?

Our 'ethics' seem to be rather subjective, and logic doesn't figure much in the equation.
Wait - are you arguing that:

- eating animals and eating humans are analogous
or
- considering ourselves to have a 'right' to 'rule' over nature is dumb
or
- considering ourselves to be above participating fully in the food chain is dumb

?

(it might sound like I'm having a go - I'm not, I just saw multiple possible arguments in what you said)
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote