View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 09:27 PM   #281
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Thanks to all of you for the positive feedback on the plugins, e-beers etc. I apologise for not replying individually but didn't want to fill the thread with even more rambling from me in response - I do read them all though . It is both interesting and gratifying to hear how the plugins are being used. To some extent they have been to fill gaps for things *I* wanted in Calibre and the rest just an intellectual challenge. That they help others too is a nice bonus.

I'm still working through a backlog of upgrading some of the other plugins... here is a tentative 'roadmap' if you like...

The "add/remove user category" plugins are being combined into a single "User Category" plugin and loads of new stuff being added to it. Such as only enabling menu options based on whether it already is in that user category, a dialog to choose authors/tags if there are multiple, ability to rename user categories (no way to do that elsewhere I can see), menu items to "show in tag viewer" and open the maintain dialog etc.

The "Open Epub in Editor" will quietly disappear as the "Open with" plugin completely replaces and supercedes it and I don't want to maintain/confuse new users with both.

I'm thinking of adding some more features to the "Quick Preferences" plugin. Such as the ability to switch the "Save template" for those of you who have different requirements for multiple devices/outputs. If anyone has any further ideas/suggestions for other preferences they end up changing frequently as they "do stuff" let me know.

"Search from clipboard" will get an icon in case you place it on your toolbar and a gui letting you change the keyboard shortcuts. I'm wary of any currently hard-coded ones suddenly conflicting with new Calibre features. Perhaps one day Calibre will have a centralised action/shortcut key registry I can integrate with so users can change shortcuts in a single dialog rather than each plugin (and Calibre shortcuts as well) - there's an open ticket for it but imagine it is well down the priority list. Certainly it would be nice to "reclaim" some of the shortcut keys which imho got burnt too early on less used Calibre features. Like Alt-P for a similar publisher search, really, when was the last time anyone used that? Likewise Alt+T is fairly useless if you have multiple tags per book...

The last remaining plugin of mine is "Walk Search History" which being more recent doesn't need too much tinkering. As I have it on my toolbar a few times I've wondered about actually listing the searches in the dropdown like you see in a browser. It would virtually replicate what the search dropdown box does, but at least you could do everything in one place when you aren't sure what your previous search was.

And of course there is the potential of a GoodReads plugin which sounds like a bit of fun.

So plenty to keep me out of trouble. As any always suggestions for extra things you would like to see in these are welcomed, particularly if I'm about to dig it out for an overhaul anyway!