View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #77
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Yes, improving English makes sense - even though I'm German, I mostly read in English. :-) Still, nice to hear support for other languages is not out of scope.

To be more concrete about helping - I've studied German (linguistics) and English, am an iOS dev myself and, of course, I'm willing to test betas or anything like that. I've been dabbling with an ebook reader myself for a year now but I'm just lacking time to really polish it and, now that Marvin mostly does (or is headed towards) what I wanted to do, the motivation. :)

The one thing I'm a bit worried about with respect to Marvin is the buy-out risk - my previously preferred ebook reader, Stanza, got bought and killed by Amazon. Thus, my reader (even though currently unpublished) is under an open-source licence (which doesn't prevent it from being sold on the AppStore).
Applied to Marvin, such a model would allow people to buy/licence it on the AppStore but in case of it being bought by <big, "evil" company>, someone could fork the last F/OSS version and keep on working on it.
This might, at first, look like a somewhat far-fetched worry but Marvin is already getting a lot of attention and is likely to draw more.
What are your feelings about such an idea, Kris?