View Single Post
Old 09-28-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Problems building Sigil on Win7/64

Hi! I'd like to build Sigil from source on Win7/64, both to get a sneak preview of features, and to maybe aid minorily in development (although the following question might suggest that I'm a noob coder, I have been known to contribute usefully to other C++ projects in the past, using Linux).

I don't want the devs to waste their time with me, but I ask others who have successfully compiled it whether they could share their notes about the steps necessary to do so. I don't use VS, and thus tried the alternate method with the windows SDK. I'm not well versed with building under Windows, but have successfully compiled lots of things from source under Linux. It just seems a lot easier

So what I would like to see is a step-by-step description of how to get from a fresh install of win7 to being able to compile Sigil (without VS, as I don't have a licence and wouldn't want to be dependent on it in the future). From there I could likely figure where I'm stuck, and what I need to do. If anyone has made notes, I'd appreciate seeing them.

I installed all the dependencies mentioned in the readme, which was an adventure in itself (turns out that you have to uninstall the C++ 2010 runtimes, otherwise the Windows SDK install will error out with a nonsensical error message referring to a non-existant local html file. Makes perfect sense).

I currently gave up with a (probably simple) "Could NOT find Qt4 (missing: <a lot of stuff>) error from cmake, including QT_QMAKE_EXECUTABLE. I find qmake.exe 14 times in the QT tree, and none of the seem to work when referencing them (Windows additionally gave me a "path environment variable too long" error on some of them. As we all know, computers easily get bored when they have to read long text strings. They are not good at handling large amounts of data accurately, especially when the amount of data is immense, to the tune of about 2300 characters).

Ok, enough with the snide remarks. Could anyone post their notes about this?

Last edited by Man Eating Duck; 09-28-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote