View Single Post
Old 08-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #68
AintLDS
No soliciting
AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AintLDS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage and iPhone 8 Plus
I think context is everything when reading, listening to music, or watching a movie. The state of the current culture and your life will have a definite impact upon whether or not you like something. Something that was fantastic in the 80's may be weak in 2012.

That being said, I read The Stand when it came out in the 80's and enjoyed it but the apocalyptic thing has been done to death so it may not stand out today. And the ending sucked.

The recent 11/22/63 I thought was amazing - after I finished reading it I wished I could be mind-wiped so I could read it again, not knowing the ending. If you haven't read it, get yourself a copy - it starts out slow but is well worth the time.

Under The Dome was too long and the bad guys were just plain unbelievable - I really struggled to finish it. A lot of stuff that happened in the book was idiotic and the hero was a putz. My recommendation is pass on this one.

Didn't care for Dark Tower 1 - The Gunslinger. Probably won't read the rest.

I also liked Insomnia, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Bag of Bones, and Full Dark No Stars. I'm not a rabid SK fan and have only read about a dozen of his books, but when he's on task, he's very good. I plan on reading Salem's Lot, The Shining, and It next.
AintLDS is offline   Reply With Quote