View Single Post
Old 09-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
[android app] Calibre Companion & Moon+ on Nexus7

I love my new Nexus7, Moon+ Reader Pro, and (most of all) Calibre Companion.

Got the Nexus7 yesterday, my first Android device and first small tablet. After charging the battery, it took about 90 minutes to do all this:
  • Set up Nexus7, gmail account, and wallet (with $25 credit toward purchases from Google).
  • Got Calibre Companion, Moon+ Reader Pro, and Aldiko.
  • In calibre, under Sharing, started the wireless device connection.
  • In CC set up group for #genres, and sort by series (with no need to set up Metadata Plugboards in calibre for Android device).
  • Set CC to store books in Moon+'s folder Books/Moonreader.
  • Wirelessly loaded some EPUBs and PDFs to Calibre Companion.
  • Set the Moon+'s Miscellaneous -> Typesetting options to indent paragraph and trim blank lines.
  • Tested Moon+'s brightness/dimming controls, with convenient swipe gesture.
  • Tested Moon+ with EPUBs and PDFs.
  • Tested and trashed Aldiko.
  • Downloaded and tested Android File Transfer, a small Android file manager application that runs on OS X, since OS X doesn't support MTP. Now I can sideload an Android device such as Nexus7.

All that setup incredibly/fantastically fast and smooth, without any problems, so off and running --

-- up to this stumbling point, removing books from the Nexus7. Moon+ creates 2 .png's per book when it opens a book, and stores the .png's in an invisible folder Books/.Moonreader. When books on the Nexus7 are removed by calibre, or by CC, or by Moon+ (I successively tested each of those Removes with different books) the .png's remain behind in that invisible folder. And accumulate there. Does anyone know a way to automatically solve this problem? It's a minor problem, fixable with the manual workaround of periodically bulk deleting all the old .pngs in .Moonreader folder. But still a bit annoying because the way I operate the books on the device are there temporarily, read then removed, so there is a lot of turnover of books on the device. Those .png's will accumulate fast. Am I missing some relevant setting(s) in calibre, CC, or Moon+ that could solve this minor problem?

It's early days, but I hope to use CC, Moon+, and Nexus7 as my main setup for reading nearly everything (edit: along with calibre as main library hub) , assuming that charging the battery daily isn't too much hassle. I'd been using EPUB all along as my preferred format and "master copy" (except for some PDFs) in calibre. So for me this means no more need for automatic EPUB to MOBI conversions in calibre-send to Kindle3 or KindleT, no more:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It's MOBI-Madness up in here!
No more need for Kindles. No more need to read complex PDFs on iPad, which I often avoided because iPad was too big, heavy, and glary for long-duration reading. No need for iPad at all, except possibly for larger display of some graphics oriented books such as comic books or art books, which I haven't tested yet on the Nexus7.

Any clues for solving The Case of the Accumulating png Files?

Last edited by unboggling; 09-20-2012 at 11:34 AM. Reason: clarify
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote