View Single Post
Old 03-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #44
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Oh, I completely agree with you. What I dislike is the suggestion that an author should have to pay for those rights, rather than being granted them automatically.
First off no one who makes money doing anything does it cost free. Why should authors be special? Everyone else has fees, taxes, overhead, something.

You want to make 50k of a novel, fine, pay 500 up front and your protected.

Second, how many authors are self published, big name stuff?
They all sell those rights to publishers. So Publishers would be in the hot seat, deciding if they can make enough off the books to be worth paying the extension. Their choice, go or no go, will it pay or won't it?

You want to tie the extension to 10% of how much that book has earned to date, fine by me. Heck you can even set it up for 2 year deferment, and pro rate it out as a % of sales.

But, keep it short, and if someone wants to lock a book up for 50 years, make them PAY through the nose for it.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote