Thread: Kobo Start Menu
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #53
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by embryo View Post
- How difficult is to change the order of the menu? Is it an editable file or something more cryptic?
I would like the readers at the top and some separators (see attached pic for a Mockup).
Look at the function setoptions() in etc/init.d/rcS. There, the individual menu options are collected into the variable moptions. Here you can change the order. I don't have any idea yet about the separators.

Quote:
- It would be nice if there was a button the Home menu to toggle the light at a standard (custom?) value. It takes me 4 clicks at every boot (and when I'm 'playing', there are lots) to see the menu.
A quick solution would be to move the frontlight option to the main menu. In order to do this, add "frontlight:menu.png" to moptions. Then add after the line
Code:
   case $selection in
Code:
      frontlight )
        sh $kbmenudir/scripts/frontlight.msh
        ;;
This will take you with one click to the front light menu. You need one other click to select the light level, and another to return to the main menu. We can shorten this. In mnt/onboard/.kobo/kbmenu/scripts/frontlight.msh replace
Code:
    *)
     $frontlightprg "$selection"
      ;;
Code:
    *)
     $frontlightprg "$selection"
     selection="EXIT"
      ;;
Now you only need two clicks, one to open the frontlight menu, and the second to select the light level and return to the main menu.

Another possiblity would be to add two menu items to the main menu, say "light_on" and "light_off" (in rcS, moptions). In the case $selection in block, you could then call /mnt/onboard/.kobo/kbmenu/tools/frontlight with the argument "0" for "light_off", and once with "5" or whatever you think fit for "light_on." In this case it would need only one click.

I did not try any of this my self. So be warned. Be also aware that a mistake in the rcS file might force you to do a factory reset. I would at least make a syntax check (sh -n rcS) before installing it.

Quote:
- ... and an impossible one!
If I install the menu and the patch for the Android dual boot, I lose the USB connection. I can't connect either from the Menu nor the Nickel. Of course I can no longer boot Android.
I tried to install the menu before and after the patch. No change. The Menu and the readers work fine but without USB support.
So, is this merging impossible? It will look really nice to have an Android option there ...
Frankly, I have no idea.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote