View Single Post
Old 01-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #75
Laridae
Addict
Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laridae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Blackberry PlayBook, Nexus 4, ChromeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
And the funny thing with city / local budgets - if you have money designated for a line item, and you don't use it, you might not get it next year, and it isn't always allowed to move it to another line item. I'm not saying that the proposed scheme is the best way to spend money for all libraries, but if there is money in the budget for ebook acquisitions, and the books on that list are ones that will increase circulation numbers for the library, then it's worth considering.
The unfortunate truth is that the Libraries are in no position to bargain. It's a seller's market. They don't have to sell the libraries anything. As it stands now only 2 of 6 BPH's make their ebooks available. Adding another one makes that many more ebooks available.

I say take the deal; if it's more expensive well, just suck it up - hopefully this can be offset by other benefits - less handling and storage of pbooks, and so on.

This is the wave of the future (as everyone hanging out here will attest) so let's not quibble.

Chant along with me ... More books ... more books ... more books!!

Laridae is offline   Reply With Quote