View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 05:55 AM   #9
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Encouraging users to "play" inside Calibre's folders has always been and will forever be a bad thing. If you accidentally or intentionally move/delete/rename files or folders, your Calibre database becomes corrupted. This fact is not up for debate imho.
If it ain't broke don't fix it. Calibre runs perfectly fine as is. Allowing users to customise something as significant as this could lead to them trashing their library, creating additional support issues. There will be users who will complain about it being Calibre's fault, despite all the warnings.
These are indeed perfectly valid points. It's true I see this from the point of view of the tech aware person I am. Thus able to understand that messing up with files might disturb calibre. And that i need to hit the "re-sync" button.

Quote:
What exactly is it that you hope to achieve?
Firstly, get some calm and peace around here. I don't want to see fighting and arguing about this issue anymore.

Quote:
Another complaint is seeing the book id in brackets after the name of the title. Well, what are you going to do about duplicate titles that exist in your library?
That is where you touch the one point that poses me problem with calibre. What I did for my own software, is to name the file "title" + "version". Tying to import a book with the version gets a "File already exists" error.

My Folders are totally independent. Sometimes it's author name, sometimes series name, sometimes something else. I would be happy with a "customtag/bookTitle_versionTag.file structure.

Quote:
Again, what will you do about non-valid filename characters? What will you do about file/path names becoming too long? And if you include series, that means every time you change the series you have to rename files which slows down Calibre usage.
Mmm, that something i didn't consider. If you want custom path, the system would need to know what "elements" are is the path, and when update is relevant.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote