View Single Post
Old 07-10-2013, 02:44 AM   #41
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Anyone have a defensible opinion on which variant (OO, LO3, LO4) is currently the best for someone who'd like to jump from MS as painlessly as possible?
I changed from OpenOffice to LibreOffice (v3) back at the start of the year. My main reasons being: LibreOffice appears to be under more active development and LibreOffice appears to actively support a "portable" version. (You can get a portable version of OpenOffice from portableapps.com, but I like the idea that the original developer supports the concept.)

I am still on LO v3, I had been waiting for v4 to stabilise. It's up to v4.0.4 now so I should think the worst of the new version glitches should be gone. If I was just starting now then I would go with LibreOffice v4. (OO and LO have, so far, been much more considerate than MSO in terms of backwards compatibility and not changing the interface to whatever is the current trend in what looks good.)

For most use I don't think it is likely to matter whether you OO or LO; the above are my reasons, others may vary. In my experience both OO and LO support for MSO documents has been very good - not perfect by any means, but good enough for most purposes.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote