View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013, 07:53 PM   #1610
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
I began reading little segments of some of the books out-loud to my daughter when she was around 12-13. These mainly involved scenes that focused on Mister and, later, Mouse. So some selective editing was done on my part with just the omission of what was left unread.

She asked if I could loan her the books for "busy work" in school last year and I did thinking at 15-16 she could handle anything that might be referenced in the books.

Honestly, if your child is going to public school - anywhere - they have been exposed to way worse than anything that might appear in the Dresden series. Not being jaded here, just realistic.

Either way, when I think back to my reading selections when I was the same age, some of the horror and sci-fi books I was reading was probably a little over what I should have been exposed to, but I turned out OK...

...right?
Sorry, but that just hit a bit of a sore spot, with me. Public School has nothing to do with it. If your child is around any other children they will hear a lot.. period!

Examples:

1. The first curse word I ever heard said by a child was at a parochial (religious) private school. And although this school was a K - 12, the child was in 3rd grade (a grade lower than me at the time).

2. A friend of mine (A) invited the daughter of a friend of her's (B) for a sleep over. The girls were ages 10 (public school student) & 11 (home school student) respectively. While putting clothes away in her daughter's room, "A" saw a "Sex Quiz". Horrified she called her friend "B", who immediatly blamed "A"'s daughter becuase, well you know, she's in public school!!! Turns out the quiz was created by "B"'s daughter who was in the habit of reading the romance novels her mother left around the house.

Last edited by Nyssa; 01-31-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote