View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 03:32 PM   #37
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I mentioned the problems with nibble ordering for framebuffer output. I played a bit and what I've found is that a combination of Xvfb and x11vnc (both built with the buildroot environment) plus kindlevncviewer does a resonably good job. It's a bit awkward to use three programs in the place of one X server, but x11vnc does a good job recognizing changed parts of the screen and kindlevncviewer knows about eink updates. Together, they provide a nice bundle. Memory footprint is about ~20MByte RSS.

I did not explore this further, but x11vnc has options to start an Xvfb server automatically upon vnc client connection.

I was still using this with SSH-forwarded X11 applications (and even a window manager) from the USB host machine. It would be interesting to see if the K3 could be switched over to a Debian-ARM-based userland, running Xvnc (I think Debian has this, would probably work better than Xvfb+x11vnc) plus kindlevncviewer for the graphical UI.

not so cumbersome I don't want to badly
will try this right now. Appreciate all your help. I owe you a beer
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote