View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
The one about "said" is always up for debate. While it may seem unobtrusive, I can still remember being told all through high school that you were either to just stop attributing (which only works as long as you can tell characters apart) or use a different word every time.

Although I wonder why the constant shifting back and forth. Is "said" really as transparent as everyone claims it is, or is there something else going on here?
If there are only 2 people in a conversation, and you have already established the pattern

Joe said
Mike said
Joe said
Mike said

Then leaving them off is okay in some people's minds. If you have more then two people, then I think it falls completely apart. For the most part I just use ASK, SAID, and RESPONDED. I also like action tags as an alternative attribution. I do not typically leave the attribution off completely though. It feels like a typo when I read it.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote