View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #59
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Amazon is not alone there.

EDIT: Kindle jailbreaking will become illegal in the USA in January 2013.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575...soles-tablets/
It turns out that jailbreaking tablets and ereaders such as kindles will become illegal because the DMCA exemption will only include devices that can also be used as a cellphone.

That seems backwards to me -- cellphones are even more vulnerable than wifi-only devices...
And in some locally breaking news (your reading it here):

Both Kindle Paperwhite firmware version 5.2.0 and version 5.3.0 contain object code covered by GPLv3.
(The gnutls 2.8.4 distribution. See the "COPYING" file in the root of the source code tree for gnutls.)

Of pertinence here:
Section 6 Conveying Non-Source Forms. - "Installation Information"

Translation:
Owners of the Kindle Paperwhite should ask Amazon for the information specified (their encryption keys, among other things).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Installation Information
"Installation Information" for a User Product means any methods,
procedures, authorization keys, or other information required to install
and execute modified versions of a covered work in that User Product from
a modified version of its Corresponding Source. The information must
suffice to ensure that the continued functioning of the modified object
code is in no case prevented or interfered with solely because
modification has been made.
I don't own a Kindle Paperwhite, I can't do it for you.
Go get'm tigers!
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote