View Single Post
Old 01-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
LGN
Connoisseur
LGN is on a distinguished road

Device: ProMedia eReader, Sony PRS-600
Question Show difference between ePUB files

While working on some ePUB files I started wondering if there is a way to show changes between 2 versions of an ePUB, maybe with the possibility to merge them. Also a connection to a version control system like SVN or even CVS would be useful in an production enviroment.

Is there a way to hook Sigil up to a SVN repository and show differences between versions to, somehow, manage an ePUB file during production?

In a related question, is it possible to have some sort of pre-processor linked to Sigil so with a few variables a different version of an ePUB can be saved?

I know these wishes are normally used in the production of software but it would be useful to be able to use it while producing an ePUB.

I ask this because I sometimes work on an ePUB and would like to have the possibility of someone editing an slightly older version and be able to merge the changes, check where the chances are made to re-view the underlying code.

Idially in the future I like others be able to get the newest version of an ePUB directly from an online repository to work together on the 'same' ePUB.

This goes probably fay beyond the intended use of Sigil at this time but it might be useful in an enviroment where multiple people work on one ePUB.

Also FlightCrew will be included in Sigil soon, I like to have a way to 'hook' other checkers like ePubCheck and ePubPreFlight to ensure I checked with at least ePubCheck as that is what publishers use. (Although if FlightCrew says it's ok, it's probably valid for the other checkers, but just to be sure

What are your thoughts about this? Is it something other people find useful? Is it maybe possible already (through, I don't know, command line?)

Thanks.
LGN is offline   Reply With Quote