Old 10-31-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
PL_kolek
PL_kolek began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Search and Replace - possible bug?

Hello!
From the information on this forum:
Quote:
Note that the search & replace operates on the XHTML Calibre produces during conversion, not on the original file.
But I think that is not true. I have a TXT file with a string "* * *" being some kind of a chapter beginning. When I choose search and replace for this file, I can see the XHTML file. The stars are missing (another problem), but I have string "<i> </i>" in the same places. So I fill the search for field with:
Code:
<i> </i>
get around 70 hits, and replace it with, let's say 123456. Then I convert, and there is no such string in the output file, so no replaces took place, despite those hits.

However, when I make such search:
Code:
\* \* \*
get no hits at all, but all 70 entries in the source txt (not xhtml in the middle of the conversion) get substituted.

For that seems like a huge bug, or at least not predictable behaviour. When I see hits, I expect my substitutions to really work. When I get no hits, there should be no replacements. I think the order of conversion is wrong. FIt should first make it xhtml and then apply s&r, not the other way. Or (I would really love if that would work that way) we could specify 2 searches, one for the source file and the second for the middle xhtml

When I searched that forum for topics according to this functionality (s&r), I found few people havin the same problem as I had (not the first time, though). The results were unpredictable and replacing didn't work at all.
PL_kolek is offline   Reply With Quote