View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
derangedhermit
Addict
derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.derangedhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thasaidon View Post
I was most interested to find this thread. Have you completed producint the fonts? If so I would be interested in seeing and perhaps using them.

How many words does each font give you?
No, I haven't completed them in the sense I would post them somewhere. I got them to a point where I enjoyed using them, to varying degrees, and have let it lapse for a couple months.

There is so much difference in size between fonts that are nominally the same size, e.g. 10 points, that giving the number of letters per line at a point size doesn't have much meaning. Also, some fonts are fat and short, and some tall and skinny. I find for comfortable reading, I need more than the minimal amount of spacing needed for letter recognition. This is probably something that varies with each individual. What one should consider is the total amount of text that can be presented on a page/screen using that text font.

I did some research into legibility and readability of typefaces, and the biggest differences by far have nothing to do with letter shape or proportion or weight or serif/sans. The two main factors are: 1) a larger letter is always easier to read, and read quickly and comfortably, than a smaller one,and 2) familiarity - if a person is used to seeing a style of print, they read it better than new styles - even if the familiar one is much inferior to the new one.
derangedhermit is offline   Reply With Quote