View Single Post
Old 06-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #248
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Ok, first off, some general clarifications:

- you DO NOT have to rebuild the font cache after each font that you install. It is sufficient to rebuild the cache ONCE after all your changes to the font files.
- you only have to restart the framework ONCE after you re-created the font cache.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedb View Post
Hi,
I am having some trouble with this. I have 8 fonts that I wish to check out. I installed the hack okay, then one after the other selected the font, and rebuilt font cache, it took 5-10 mins and listed the 8 fonts, the last word was "succeeded", so I thought it would be okay to restart framework, but I did not just yet as the progress bar was around 80% full, so I waited a little while longer, and after 15 mins nothing changed, so I just touched the restart framework buttom.

Now when I start the font hack in the kindle it just restarts the kindle. I have now uninstalled the font hack, but still have all the folders and files on the kindle (eg, "00-Constani.conf" in the fonthack folder, and "fonts.dir" and "fonts.scale" in the name of the fonts folder).

Should I have waited a lot longer for the progress bar to fill up completely, is restart framework basically the same as restarting the kindle?
Sorry, I don't know which progress bar you are speaking about. The Font Hack does not have any progress bars, and neither do any of its prerequisites.

The only progress bar I can think of is the one of the Kindle when it's booting up. This is a really dumb one, which simply counts up 10% every 2 seconds (or so), but is not related to any actual underlying progress. In other words: The progress bar doesn't mean anything, so don't worry if the Kindle takes longer than the "100%" to start up -- and also don't worry if it already "started up" at 80%. As long as the device works, it's ok.

I have personally also experienced a few times where after startup, the fonts were not the ones that have been assigned using font hack). This was mostly experienced after installing a new update, but in some cases even after a normal reboot. There's really no convincing explanation for this, and simply rebooting (or restarting again via FontHack) restores normal behavior.

Concerning your last question: "Restart framework" (from within FontHack) is almost the same as restarting the Kindle. In layman's words, the former restarts the software components only, while the latter restarts the entire Kindle Operating System (Linux).

So... as to your problem: please try to completely uninstall, then reinstall FontHack according to the instructions. If you keep having problems, please report back here, describing exactly what goes wrong during which stage.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote