View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
thomasn75
Groupie
thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomasn75 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o v2, kobo Aura, sony prs t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumguy View Post
Hi all -

I have a number of non-Sony epubs (DRM-free, creative commons, etc.) and I've been searching for ages for some way to sync them between my desktop computer and a reader device. By sync, I mean the last-page-read position, and ideally bookmarks and annotations as well.

Currently I have a Kindle, which supports syncing non-Amazon books between Kindle devices (including the iOS app), but not to the Kindle desktop app. So I'm trying to figure out whether Sony might support this. From my research and experiments so far, it seems not. But I wanted to ask here before I give up...

I set up a Sony account, and downloaded the desktop Reader for mac software. I "purchased" a free book from the Sony store, and I also imported some of my non-Sony epubs into the desktop app. Then I set up the Reader app on my iPhone. The "purchased" book showed up automatically on the iPhone, and at least syncing of last-page-read between the desktop and the iPhone app works. But the other non-Sony books didn't show up on the iPhone app. I tried loading them on with iTunes, which worked, but they don't sync. So it seems like the same situation as with the Kindle - reading position etc. sync only works with purchased books?

So, two questions:
1. would this work if I bought a Sony reader hardware device? If you add your own non-Sony epubs to the desktop app, do they show up on the device? Do they sync last-read position and bookmarks?

2. am I missing some way of making this work with the iPhone app? Is there maybe some way to upload your own epubs to the Sony store, the way you can with "personal documents" with the Kindle?

I'd really like be able to read a DRM-free book on my iPhone, an e-ink device, and my desktop, and have them all stay in sync. But as far as I can tell, there's simply no solution anywhere to do that.

Thanks...
I am afraid Sony can't cope with this at all. As far as i am aware they don't even have an app for phones in the UK.
thomasn75 is offline   Reply With Quote