View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #79
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjhudston View Post
We are not going to agree on this HarryT, because to me it definately is not "Pure Sci Fi". To Quote OSC himself "Sci-Fi has Rivets, Fantasy has trees", now Considering one of the main plot lines of Speaker for the Dead is about an indigenous species and their religious worship of trees, I feel that the enders game series stopped being Sci-Fi from Speaker for the Dead onwards.
Card's concept of the difference between SF and fantasy is not definitive. Sentient trees are well within the range of science fiction.

Quote:
In a later book, a major plot line is a girl who religiously follows the lines of grain in a wooden floor.
Because of a genetically-engineered disease meant to link OCD behavior with intelligence to make a planet of controllable workers.

Quote:
The only Sci Fi element I really find in these books, is that they are set on another planet. That for me is not enough!.
FTL communication, slowships that require time differentials to speak with planets, alien races with different evolutionary histories, sentient computer program, genetic engineering of viruses, teleportation by the scientific principles that control the FTL communication... does it not count as SF if it doesn't have lightsabers?
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote