View Single Post
Old 09-25-2008, 12:34 AM   #1
Abisha
Connoisseur
Abisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it isAbisha knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Unhappy ebook prices excessively high?

This is just a little commentary on my behalf. I'm fairly new to eInk technologies, ebooks, etc.. I was wondering if anyone could enlighten me on why ebooks are so expensive? It just seems that since the storage and bandwidth costs are almost inconsequential, that ebooks should be considerably less expensive than their paper bound brethren. Yet what I'm finding is that many ebooks are near the same price in most cases, and even MORE expensive in certain instances. To site an example I wanted to purchase an ebook by Noam Chomsky. I shopped around a bit, checked several online shops, i.e. Fictionwise, Sony's ebook store, etc. Then for giggles I checked some prices on the paper physical copy from several retailers. What I found was alarming and ever so disappointing. The physical book was actually CHEAPER including shipping and handling! So here's the dilemma. Do I buy the more expensive ebook, whereby I'm really only purchasing some 'license'? Or, do I purchase the physical book that I have legitimate ownership rights to, that I can share with my family and friends (without having to 'borrow' out my $300 eReader device)? Just my opinion I suppose, but the greed of the publishers and distributers will destroy any chance of there being an "ebook revolution". Your thoughts?

-Abisha
Abisha is offline   Reply With Quote