View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 10:36 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I don't have people paying me to convert their Word documents into ePub, but I could do it. I've cleaned up a number of Word documents and made them clean ePub. It can be time consuming.

So, anyone looking to have a Word document converted to ePub cleanly and pay me to do so?
I think my soliciting commercial help or work on this forum is a big ixnay, but if you could be less irascible, and get past your hatred of html toc's, maybe we could chat. ;-) I know that there is ePUB-making work out there, but the better-paying work requires you to handle the client interface. I have sub-contractors at my shop that like book-making, but can't deal with the clients, so they work for me as contractors, making less per book, for themselves, but I get the headaches.

Quote:
As for the fonts, there is a thread someplace on MR about why sometimes a font fails to render with ADE. I believe if the font is set to version 4, it fails to render in some older versions of ADE.
Wasn't ADE. Rendered like a champ in ADE, on Nook, on iBooks, on Kobo. Disappeared, altogether--literally, the text became invisible--on K3 and/or Touch with "publisher font" selected. Yowza, that was fun.

Quote:
And as to copyright, you do have to be very careful about what fonts are chosen. Charis SIL is free and it is allowed to be embedded. It's the most widely used embedded font family.
We spend a LOT of time these days finding bloody fonts for clients that want fonts until they find out how much it costs to render at the foundry. We charge for the "font-finding" service, because of course, sitting around staring at OS fonts until your eyes bleed lacks fun. "Lessee, does that g's tail close, and does that m have an opening downstroke..." ACK! If it was me, I'd stick with plain-ol' plain-ol' TNR. It's popular for a reason, although oddly enough, I also like Trebuchet for reading. {shrug}
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote