View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well, arguably, not every "client" pays. I had "clients" when I was first learning, who were my volunteer guinea pigs. Personally, of course, I think when you start charging people money, for ePUBs, converting from Word should be second nature.

And, yes, on the fonts--both Helvetica and its kissing cousin, Arial, are, to the best of my knowledge, copyrighted. In fact, almost every font in the Windows font file is copyrighted. There are, however, many open-source sans-serif fonts that can be used, although you have to spend some time rummaging through them, and of course, they have to be tested on the devices, as not every one actually renders.

As I think I mentioned here, before, we had an Adobe foundry font literally become invisible on a Kindle3/Touch in its italic face. Such fun! The (paying) client was less than amused, though. I personally went out and found a font substitute that worked for that one. ;-)

Hitch
I don't have people paying me to convert their Word documents into ePub, but I could do it. I've cleaned up a number of Word documents and made them clean ePub. It can be time consuming.

So, anyone looking to have a Word document converted to ePub cleanly and pay me to do so?

As for the fonts, there is a thread someplace on MR about why sometimes a font fails to render with ADE. I believe if the font is set to version 4, it fails to render in some older versions of ADE.

And as to copyright, you do have to be very careful about what fonts are chosen. Charis SIL is free and it is allowed to be embedded. It's the most widely used embedded font family.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote