View Single Post
Old 09-08-2012, 05:48 PM   #6
Silhalnor
Silhalnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silhalnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silhalnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silhalnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silhalnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silhalnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silhalnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silhalnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silhalnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silhalnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Silhalnor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
If the problem is merely how bright LCDs are then why can't we simply dim them close to the brightness of reflected light? I can't test the results of this by the way, my laptop can't be made very dim, so I can't see for myself why it wouldn't work. I just assume that it doesn't because I don't see people touting that as a good solution. I will take a guess though that if I made my LCD very dim then the reflections on the screen would overpower the images that I actually want to see. In which case the solution is to reduce reflectivity.

I don't want this to be merely a battle between LCDs and eInk either, their relative pros and cons may actually be unrelated to my issue, the majority of my activities are on my laptop so I am limited to LCDs specifically unless I can use eInk with my laptop. (I don't suppose there is some sort of eInk screen that I could use as a second monitor? Or maybe an eInk typewriter of sorts that I can connect to?) Thus I want to minimize the negative impacts of LCDs.

Edit:
By the way, there has been no comment yet on that article I linked to. I thought it was interesting since it suggests that brightness has nothing to do with the issue. Perhaps we can put a sheet of the material those Gunnar glasses are made of on top of LCDs. Of course then they would be discolored as compared to everything else. The more important detail though is that those glasses apparently remove the strains caused by LCDs so therefore it really must be possible to make using an LCD eye-strain free.

Last edited by Silhalnor; 09-08-2012 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts.
Silhalnor is offline   Reply With Quote