View Single Post
Old 12-22-2004, 05:43 AM   #4
Lorphos
Librie lab rat
Lorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with othersLorphos plays well with others

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow
Isn't it strange that the Librie is the only handheld device so far that features E-Ink technology? So far most news on E-Ink was related to large screen applications such as screens used for advertisement.

I begin to wonder if the Librie was only meant as a test product to see how consumers accept the new technology (remember it also has its disadvantages, such as a very slow refresh-rate, low-scale grey colors).
I think there are several reasons for this. First off, I am sure Sony has a deal with E-Ink giving them exclusive distribution for some time. In this time, they will try hard to succeed with their DRM approach - if they pull it off, it would mean more money in the long run. Only if the device fails due to DRM they'll wake up and give the customers what they want.
Secondly, yes, the display has its limitations. Not only is it very slow, there's also a problem with ghosting - if you change pages whatever was on the previous page remains visible as a slight shadow. It's annoying if you pay attention to it, but it doesn't really interfere with reading.
Lorphos is offline   Reply With Quote