View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #29
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkobo View Post
Contradictory inputs... Cannot compute... Aaaaarrrgghhhh!!!!!
The only thing M&C and Vorkosigan have in common is that they are books

M&C (to me) was a bunch of anecdotal stories whose only thing in common is some of the characters. I found it a horribly difficult read - speech paragraphs would switch characters part way through making it difficult to understand who was actually saying what. Add to that the historical "prose", the author's repeated penchant for taking three pages to obfuscate the fact that the boat veered left with a sail change, and the distinct lack of anything "actually happening" until 30 pages or so at the end of the book and it just left me stone cold. There was no destination, no storyline, no momentum, no excitement and just no incentive to try more of it as yet.

As for Wool, I don't think it is perfect - particularly in that I am not a fan of "prequel" books which is what the current "Shift" trilogy after the 1-5 series is about. However the style of writing, the concept, the tension of discovery - it hooked me (and many others) in. I've become a big fan of his work (I, Zombie excepted) and also started his "Molly Fyde" series which I am also finding a cracking entertaining read.

We are all in the mood for different books at different times and have different reading experiences at the time we pickup a book. As with anything on the internet you can take any recommendations for or against with a pinch of salt.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote