View Single Post
Old 03-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giulio View Post
Hi, i'm from italy and i bought a kindle touch 3g, that in my counrty is not 3g at all since i can visit only amazon and english wikipedia and anything else without wifi.
I'm not a developer, i'm just an old geek linux user.
I've not tested this yet since i've trouble accessing my kindle trough ssh but here are two ideas for unlocing 3g in all countris.
1)Since i think that the block is via sofwtare there is maybe a way to fake the real country or something else

2)Just modify the host file (every machine should have one, doesn't the kindle?) and point something like 74.63.233.218 (where i run a php http proxy, i don't guarantee the service there) to amazon.com or en.wikipedia.org browsing the internet from here. I think that the same can be made with ssh tunneling, for example tu use irssi.

Does anyone have some suggest or other ideas? And can anyone try it?
Thanks
While there may be limitations to the software installed in your kindle, but main "block" to what services are provided is on the "provider side" of the communications.

For instance, in the case of 3G:
While the user's location may be recorded on the SIM in your kindle (and available for modification by the user) -
The GPS location of the cell tower that you are connected to is determined at the cell tower (not available for modification by the user).

Since the limits to what communications are allowed are mostly set by the services available from the provider, "unlocking the free 3G" is not practical.

What you do make use of the 3G communications is tracked by the provider and made available to Amazon - what they do about it is a matter of their own business practices, see:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...76&postcount=1

Your topic also includes changing the limits on the "browsing experience".

If you treat that as separate from changing the limits on 3G services, that might be possible to change on the Kindle.