View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #486
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaak View Post
Even though I successfully debricked my Kindle after the failed update with Amazon's 5.1.0 update package (most probably not their fault but because of tinkered with root partition) I wasn't able to get a working 5.1.0 by using the official update packes with the debricked 5.0.0.

It would install the update but after reboot it would go to the "Your Kindle needs repair screen" after a while. Strangely, using a USB cable would still work and after removing it, it would go straight to the normal home screen.

So I thought, try out the debricking repair 5.1.2 images, flashed the kernel and the mmcblk0p1 5.1.2 (main+jb+kjb+ssh) image. But this time it even just went to a black screen after reboot.

Any ideas what's up with that? Oh, and BTW, I always cleared the /var/local partition.
Some of the older kernels are missing the last 64 bytes. But even adding those in can make the new firmware updates fail because when they check the firmware MD5 they may check EXTRA padding that may be different depending on what was installed before and how much extra stuff was written AFTER the firmware (or not written).

If the amazon updates check too far past the end of the REAL firmware, they could add unknown values to their computation, causing them to falsely decide that they will not install. ixtab and I discussed this and we are not sure yet just how to deal with that problem because we do not know what range of mmc will be checked in any given FUTURE firmware update.

It has worked for many people to install 5.0.0 and update from there, but the 5.0.0 kernel is probably 64-bytes too short (the flash header firmware length field needs the length of the flash header added to it).

The new 5.1.2 versions should be complete so they SHOULD work.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-10-2016 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Rename "forensic" to "debricking repair".
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote