View Single Post
Old 03-05-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddman View Post
I'm a bit surprised that Amazon hasn't preemptively acted to entice customers into buying a Kindle before the iPad comes out.

A price cut to $199 for the Kindle 2 would spike sales up quite a bit, especially if they also threw in a few free books. And the Kindle DX certainly needs to drop by at least $100, it just looks silly pricing it at the same level as the basic iPad.

Having a Kindle sale now is going to have a lot more effect than it would once the iPad hype train starts upon release. They're missing a big strategic opportunity.
I am actually not surprised that Amazon hasn't dropped their price of the Kindle 2/DX. The Kindle has one huge advantage over the iPad for ebooks, the e-ink screen. I know myself that regardless of how cheap the iPad becomes I would always buy an e-ink device for reading over a backlit LCD.

I honestly believe the iPad will be a bit of a fad. It wont be until you can buy a tablet PC with a full OS installed will they really take off. I don't see the point in an iPad if I can't open up ordinary office documents, browse every website I ordinarily do (iPad doesn't support flash apparently). The Kindle has a recognised market - book readers. The iPad doesn't really have a recognised market.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote