View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
You're right about the UI! It's one of the reasons I installed and uninstalled a couple of times. Didn't want to take the time to wade through all of it.
Definitely frustrating! I'm a technical writer by profession, so my inclination was try to find a good book about Android. I found Android for non-techie people types of books which did little more than illustrate how to use a phone, and I found programmer references which or of little use to me as they are for developing Android apps. I would love to find a good book that covers the UI and settings, but haven't yet. So at this point it is just trial and error and frustration.

For those of you who are old enough to remember the DOS days, apps pretty much used their own unique UI. It took a while to learn each app because you had no clue where settings and functions were located or how to get to them until you read the manual or used the app. It was a mess! Then along came the Macintosh and Mac apps started to appear with similar UIs. You only had to learn what the File menu or Edit menu did once as it would be mostly the same for each program. The use of common menus and functionality made it a lot easier and quicker to learn new apps. Eventually Microsoft incorporated this concept into Windows. As I look at Android apps I think they are much closer to the "do your on thing" days of DOS than to the refined systems of Macs and Windows. Each Android reader app seems to have a rather unique interface and unique way of hiding settings and functions.

Last edited by jswinden; 05-29-2011 at 12:15 PM.