View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #33
theskybeblue
theskybeblue began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini
Installed class 10 16GB, alternate guide using GParted.

I just managed to install a Samsung 16GB class 10 (excessive I know, but it was what I had lying around) There was a noticeable speed increase but not very dramatic, I dont think I'll be shopping around for a faster card I doubt it will make much difference.

I used an alternate method to upgrade as a USB key was unavailable and my linux distro (Rasbian on a Raspberry Pi) did not have enough free space to make a backup of the card, this info might be useful to people who aren't command line ninjas or if you don't have a USB key or a natively installed version of linux (you will require a blank CD however)

I used win32diskimager (very easy to find on google, and free open source software) in windows to make a backup of the original card. I entered C:\kobo.img as a file name and clicked read to do the backup and then restored the original file to my 16GB card by entering C:\kobo.img and clicking "write" (this is a bit buggy as it messes up backslashes(\) and forward slashes(/) sometimes so make sure they are backslashes (\) or windows throws a strop when you try and write to the micro SD and say the file is "in use".)

Once this is done the card will work in the kobo but the partition will still be the same size (1.3GB on my kobo mini)

You will need a copy of Gparted (I already had a copy of hirens boot CD which happens to have it already, but if you google "gparted" you will find the sourceforge page which allows you to download a free open source bootable CD image of gparted) It is included in many linux CDs and usually called "Partition Editor or just Gparted"

I then used Gparted(from a bootable CD) to resize the partition on the micro SD, it will be the largest partition probably called "kobo reader"

!!Dont let your linux distro "mount" the SD partitions, or they will be locked and you wond be able to resize them!!

!!Also be careful not to mess with the main partitions of your computer, be sure you are editing the micros SD and not your main hard disk!!

I had to change the device to the SD card in the Gparted=>Devices drop down menu, on mine it was called /dev/sdb though it will likely be something else for you, you will have to use your initiative. It then scanned and the SD card with several 256mb partitons appeared(leave these well alone unless you like starting from scratch) I right clicked the largest "kobo reader" partition(it should be FAT32 file system) and clicked resisze/move, draged the slider and then clicked the resize/move button.

When the resize box goes away you will have to click the "apply" button, it is the green tick in the menu at the top.

wait a few seconds or minutes and you are finished, put the new card in the kobo.

Hope this is helpful, I've tried to be as detailed as possible but this is mostly from memory. Good luck upgrading your Kobo!

Last edited by theskybeblue; 05-28-2013 at 05:48 PM. Reason: spelling
theskybeblue is offline   Reply With Quote