View Single Post
Old 02-12-2013, 04:28 AM   #12
Jim Chapman
Addict
Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jim Chapman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lumia 950 Phone
Freda not an EPUB3 reader

Just to avoid any misunderstanding (given the title of this thread): Freda is not an EPUB3 reader. It is only compatible with EPUB2 format. That said, I think the same is true of most other ereader programs. Also, it seems that most publishers are taking some care to ensure their EPUB3 books are backward-compatible - i.e. though supporting EPUB3 features, they are also work on reading systems that only understand EPUB2 format.

I doubt that Freda will ever extend to include all EPUB3 features (I expect I'll add some subset of the new navigation features and the new structural elements, but I really doubt that I'll be handling <audio>, <video> and <canvas> any time soon - and as for javascript ... forget it!).

For those who are interested, I will post occasional updates about the Freda development roadmap on the forum, here (that talks about the Windows Phone version of Freda, but in fact there is now only one development roadmap; the code-lines are merging).

Last edited by Jim Chapman; 02-12-2013 at 04:31 AM.
Jim Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote