View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 01:14 PM   #1
TheMooch
Member Retired
TheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litterTheMooch doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 Sony eReader
I miss my PRS-500, just my inane rambling.

It's funny that I say that since it is in front of me every day sitting on the desk near my computer. As much as I love the device I haven't used it in almost a year. All of my reading has been done on the iPhone using the Kindle software. I find myself at a sort of impasse over where to go next.

PRS-500:
PROs:
- Nice heft to the device
- Great screen / Reading experience

CONs:
- Sony's reliance on a proprietary piece of software
- Need external light source for reading
- Battery doesn't seem to last as long (which is funny since it's not supposed to be using the battery if turned off. I have to recharge it if it's been sitting for a couple of weeks).
- Locked Book Formats.
iPhone with Kindle Software:
PROs:
- Books are cheaper than on Sony (by at least $1 on average)
- Wireless purchase and loading
- Once device to rule them all (Phone, iPod, Book Reader, etc)

CONs:
- Locked Book Formats
- Limited number of downloads?
- Can't upload other non-Amazon purchased Kindle Format books.
- No PC Reader
- Heft is ok only with my PowerSlider attached.
- Reading experience can be a little difficult at night due to screen brightness.
I've considered going "full-kindle", but if I do I run the risk of losing all of the books that I purchased for my Sony reader. <sigh>

Partisans in congress, partisans in books. Everyone has to make money and they all feel the need to restrict things so their the one's to make the most. IMO (as with many others) there should be a single, open format (a la e-pub or what have you) that is sold by everyone and then let it be a hardware war.

If you';re wondering where this is going ...it's going to the expected release of the "Wheel of Time" series to e-book in October and me trying to decide which device to purchase it for. Will the PRS-500 be updated to handle e-pub? Will the Kindle for iPhone software? I dunno.

Yes, I want to eat the cake too.....not a big fan of Kool-Aid though.
TheMooch is offline   Reply With Quote