View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #18
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsu View Post
DropBox....
Many such services have statements in their EULA that say something akin to this:

"When The Provider suspects that you are using The Service to host copyrighted material for which you do not have distribution rights, The Provider is allowed to close down your account without further notice."

In short, if you put a lot of books into DropBox and they come to the conclusion that "2000 books have to be illegal stuff, nobody reads that much", then you could lose everything at once. They might even notify authorities to check it out.

edit: DropBox indeed has such a notice:

Quote:
Copyright

Dropbox respects others’ intellectual property and asks that you do too. We will respond to notices of alleged copyright infringement if they comply with the law and are properly provided to us. Such notices should be reported using our DMCA Process. We reserve the right to delete or disable content alleged to be infringing and to terminate repeat infringers.
When you put the books into your private space, they may not be visibile to the outside world, but it could still be that DropBox checks accounts themselves, as nothing prevents you to share a password for example.

Not trying to scare you out or anything, but I'd NOT put huge amounts of books into a storage locker such as DropBox, and if you do, make sure you have a backup and a way to prove that you actually bought that stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsu View Post
I'm a big series person, so I've grabbed book 2 and book 7 (for instance) from Amazon, because other stores have had them cheaper.
I hate it when that happens. A few days ago I bought a series that consisted of 6 books. I've looked at Kobo, BooksOnBoard, FeedBooks, Whaterstones, and Diesel E-Books. (I only buy EPUB.)

1. None of these stores had the entire series. (Why not? That's stupid.)
2. A book could cost between $4.50 and $9.95 between the cheapest store and the most expensive one.

I ended up buying 4 books with Diesel (cheapest for those three), 1 with Kobo (cheapest for that one, with a difference of $3.49 to the next cheapest), and 1 with BooksOnBoard (only one that had this part of the series.)

Bleh. That's another reason to de-DRM the entire stuff and save it somewhere safe.

Quote:
I think I'll do as Katsunami does and load a few series onto my Kindle and 10 - 15 "regular" novels at a time. I'm sure that once I'm used to it, it won't bother me as much. The next step is to afford the Kindle.
Assuming you actually intend to read all the books you have, you should get used to this way of working quite quickly. And it puts a bit of a stick behind the door to actually start reading those books you put on the Kindle, if you don't have your entire library with you, especially when you finish your current book when away from the computer.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-26-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote