View Single Post
Old 03-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #29
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I generally agree that Thai wages are smaller, but if a publisher can make a profit in Thailand with the prices they put on the books that are sold there, someone is making a killing when the same books are sold in the U.S. (unless, of course, if the books are completely produced in Thailand at those lower wages and costs).
Heh. Well, yes. Even if they're produced in Thailand, if this guy could afford to have them shipped to the US--at retail/consumer shipping costs--and make a profit, then so could a larger company.

Possibly, the Thai publications aren't enough to cover the entire US market, and the defendant here was capitalizing on matters of scale, but I doubt it. Thailand isn't known for its busy publishing industry; I expect many of the books sold there are actually printed elsewhere. China, perhaps. Shipping them to Thailand is a lot cheaper than shipping them to the US.

But the markup of US books is a lot higher than "shipping costs + a bit more for overhead + a bit more for profit."
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote