View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 07:35 AM   #7
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Unfortunately, this price is "Normal" here in Europe for devices that DO sell here. Like, for example Sony T1. Sigh ...
I'm in New Zealand. T1 goes for around US$180 (140Euro) here. I can get a refurbished NST off eBay from US for US$80-90 + US$20-40 shipping. 170Eur (plus shipping) is a price I'd only pay for a product that was demonstrably significantly superior to either -- not one that was arguably inferior.

While part of it is regional pricing/lack of strong local competition, I also suspect there's an economies of scale thing going. Where the main competition is PB (or similar), Sony et al can price at PB prices (and make some extra profit) -- where their main competition is other major players (as in the US), you see their full volume cost savings reflected in the prices.

Buying off the US there isn't a major difference in prices between the major players, so I'm able to decide based upon features -- and like you I prefer the NST's buttons (slightly to the T1/622 setup, majorly to no physical buttons at all).

I'm currently waiting to make my mind up between the NST, the new PAGEone HD (same 764 × 1024 screen as the iriver Story HD, but in what looks like a nicer package) and the soon-to-be-announced NOOK eInk (whose introduction has a reasonable possibility of depressing the NST's price even further).

Last edited by Hrafn; 03-28-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote