View Single Post
Old 03-28-2012, 04:43 AM   #3
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
1.- You can't modify the fonts on the default reader, you have to stick to the choice of 6 they offer you (3 serif, 3 sans)
I can probably live with those -- the Malabar font doesn't look too different from preferred Droid Serif.
Quote:
2.- You can use ES File Explorer to navigate folders. You can also use 3rd party readers, like Mantano, which allow you to sort by series, author and such.
Is it possible to make either of these the default interface, as opposed to the Nook Home Screen/Library?
Quote:
4.- You have to register if you want to use the stock software (rooted or not). There are reports of battery issues if you skip the registration. There is no reason to skip it, just provide a name and email address - no credit card is needed. You don't even need to use real names or email addresses if you don't want to.
"I don't current[ly] have [WiFi], or a need for it..." Registration requires WiFi, and thus would mean wandering out to find an open WiFi hotspot. Not a biggy -- but an extra hassle.

Quote:
5.- You don't need WiFi to root, the process is simple, just boot with the rooting SD card inserted.
6.- It is possible, but it is more convoluted. The rooting SD card roots the device, installs the market and some other stuff. If you only want to install a few apps, you would have to gain ADB access and then install the apps manually.
Do you need WiFi to install market apps?

Quote:
My 2 cents, I would say it is not worth to root the NST, as a reader it does a pretty good job as is, but feel free to experience.
On closer reading of the User-Guide, it seems that the NST may be able to navigate folders on the microSD card ("Your NOOK displays folders and files on your microSD card"), which therefore may sidestep my explicit "dealkiller" on its Library function. I take it that this allows reasonably hassle-free navigation from any position in the microSD card's directory tree to any other position? The User Guide makes no further mention of it beyond the above quote, and it it likely to be the only part of the Library system I would actually use -- so that it works well becomes a fairly prominent issue.

Would the NOOK drop me back into this subsystem when I exit the Reader (this is what happens with the Pocketbook), or would you have to navigate back to it from the Home Screen each time, past all the B&N-specific guff?

I'm starting to feel a bit more comfortable about the idea of an unrooted NST -- but aren't quite there yet.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote