View Single Post
Old 09-08-2013, 02:37 PM   #56
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Obviously I'm not going to convince anyone here and its obviously not for everyone. It's probably not even for me. I know that it would be very useful for some people however. I could buy a phone stand for every situation that I happen be in but I think a watch would be a lot more convenient. And yes using the watch as you describe would be annoying but that's not the point.
A) It alerts you when you might not normally notice your phone like when it's in your pocket or in a bag (I never notice my phone vibrate when it's in my pants)
If you don't notice the phone vibrate in your pants you aren't going to notice a smartwatch vibrate on your wrist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
B) You can tell at a glance whether this is a call or email that you need to take immediately or can wait. There's no need to fool around with your watch with both of your hands, just glance at the name of the sender or the phone number or the email header and then you can decide to pull over and take the call or respond to the email or excuse yourself from the meeting.
It's as simple as that. It's not for everyone that's for sure and for $300 and only for Galaxy phones and with first gen hiccups it's certainly not for me but you can't deny that it could be very useful for some people (think of all those people who walk around with a bluetooth headset sticking out of their ears).
It has a 1.63" screen and it already looks large on a wrist.

To fit most names on that screen the font won't be very big so you won't be able to tell at a glance who is calling, you are going to have to place your wrist closer to your eyes. You definitely won't be able to read email header at a glance. I don't care how convenient you think that this would be while you are driving or cycling, I think that it would be dangerous and if this is the way people are going to use them, then they should be banned.

If the people at the meeting would excuse you so you can respond to the call or email, then they would allow you to have you phone on the table. If it isn't socially acceptable for you to respond then using a device with a smaller screen won't make a difference.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote