View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #13
John A. A. Logan
Connoisseur
John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John A. A. Logan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Another five-star review of The Survival of Thomas Ford:

5.0 out of 5 stars A tale of blood and mist, April 17, 2012
By Damascena - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: The Survival of Thomas Ford (Kindle Edition)
First, there is the mystery, which, in and of itself would be enough to warrant reading this book. But ...there is so much more. the writing is often breathtakingly exquisite, and occasionally verges on the poetic, in the true sense of that phrase. Next, this author has a way with mood and atmosphere that allows one to be in the moment of the book. He does this in 2 ways, first through dialog, which, as far as I can tell, is absolutely accurate to the region, without resorting to odd sounding words or phrases. But, even through the filter of a synthesized voice, I can *hear* the Scottish brogue, and the intonations and rhythms of the speech. Next, he uses words to create a faint, but persistent shadow of menace that floats like thin mist, gathering at times to become almost fog. I was always aware of it, lurking there, in the background, and yet, it was done with such a fine touch that I couldn't point to one specific thing, and say "this is what I mean". Put it all together, and you get a satisfying and unforgettable read ...which neatly juxtaposes real danger and even murder by a *very* unpleasant father/son duo, and spiritual, folkloric and mystical overtones to wonderful effect.

In addition, the characters are extremely believable. There is a bit of the hero in each villain, even the worst of them, and a bit of villain in each hero, even the best of them. They act in very human ways, and are motivated by much the same things that motivate all of us.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Survival-T...pr_product_top
John A. A. Logan is offline   Reply With Quote