View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #8
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
No, the Japanese T1 has no font selection ability, like I mentioned up in #3 of this thread (nor can you change the UI language at all). I'm assuming it's partially a drawback of having the relatively large Japanese font onboard, filling up the memory space that would be used for multiple tiny little roman fonts on a non-Japanese unit. One Japanese font can easily take up 3-10 MB.

I haven't checked what the CSS is telling that book to do, it's just an Amazon AZW converted to ePub by calibre, with everything set to the defaults.

A couple more amusing effects of the update:
  • Existing handwritten notes are now offset from the text they used to overlay, the text having effectively "squirted out" from under them due to the new line & character spacing. They're usually on the same page, just offset half a screen or something. New notes are aligned fine.
  • It seems to hyphenate a lot of words now, where it didn't before. You can see this on the screenshot.
  • The font display seems much lighter and wispy now. For the first time I find myself regularly going into the display options to bump the contrast and reduce the brightness to increase the clarity to a comfortable level.

The line spacing, character spacing, and aggressive hyphenating now make all my books noticeably more difficult to read. I'm honestly beginning to look at rooting the thing, just to see if other reader software options can display the text more readably.

Last edited by Snorkledorf; 04-10-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote